Film Making is an art form that gives a platform to showcase to the world how you visualize an idea in a format that not only entertains but also conveys a message to the public at large. Films are not only a mirror of the kind of society that we live in but also have become a fundamental part of our life. Films are a combination of entertainment, emotions, drama, action, and glamour. It entails conceptualization of a story, scriptwriting, directing, casting, shooting, lighting, sound recording, editing, production controlling, and screening. The technology has brought in a vast number of changes into the filmmaking process-digitization, Improved Visual effects, etc.
Multifaceted Film making has various career options like writing, cinematography, editing, directing, acting, etc. to offer.
In order to become a successful filmmaker, the following steps need to be adhered to:
- Starting early from a scratch: Filmmaking needs to be started at a young age. You need to have an eye for details. The passion to tell stories does not require costly equipment. You must have a flair for creative thinking and your storytelling can start by using a smartphone to shoot small videos or pictures and stitching them together to communicate a story. Having an early realization will help you get hands-on experience in its various departments learning various facets of filmmaking.
- Technological Expertise: To be invaluable, you should have a solid understanding and experience of the latest filming technology, camera work, lighting, designing of special effects, and other technical aspects of filmmaking.
- Flexible in your approach: As a filmmaker, you not only have to invest creatively but also be open to contributing to the process of filmmaking in any capacity, be it as a director or producer or pre and post-production coordinator, or even working in a position that may not be your dream job. The whole idea is to have the vision to be able to invest yourself in any way possible to gain experience.
- Creative and Visualization skills: Although you may not be a creative genius to write a story or script, you must possess the dexterity to understand the crux of the story and the skill of storytelling.
- Problem-Solving Leadership: As a filmmaker, you are the leader captaining the boat and hence are responsible for taking fast decisions and contributing to the work of others. In addition, you have to be decisive and solve problems that pose an obstacle to the filmmaking process and may delay the production. You should effectively motivate the various departments and experts in respective fields of filmmaking to work as a team to come up with a successful end product.
- Communication: Good communications skills are a must to not only communicate with the countless crew and cast members besides other stakeholders but also communicate your vision in the form of film to the public at large. You should be able to communicate to clarify the roles of the individuals in the team.
- Filmmaking course & internship: Various film schools in India are offering curetted filmmaking courses as per the ensuing trends and contemporary practices providing technical expertise in various departments. They provide a hands-on approach to learning the various facets of filmmaking, thus paving way for them to be absorbed as interns in various departments to learn the ropes of filmmaking.
To foster each of the above steps, you’ll need more than an insatiable desire to make films; you’ll need to study digital filmmaking course from one of the various film schools in India, besides getting hands-on experience in various departments handling various roles.